I have matched the initial applicants for the SYP Mentoring Scheme with their mentors, and their first meetings are either underway or currently being arranged.
The first meetings are useful in facilitating successful mentoring relationships by outlining
and managing mutual expectations and clarifying roles. An initial mentoring meeting might include:
· Discussion of the mentee’s primary development objectives
· Build up rapport, and perhaps talk about your respective backgrounds
· What the student is obliged to do in the mentoring relationship
· What the mentor is obliged to do in the mentoring relationship
· Decide on what project/issue/career aspect to work on together
· How often you want to meet and by what channel.
Applications from SYP members are still welcome until 18 June, and mentors are welcome to join our growing pool of industry experts.